[rescue] mac model performance

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Tue Jul 9 15:53:54 CDT 2002

William Enestvedt wrote:

> > They say only 7x00 and 8x00 PCI machines.
> >
>    The x100 systems (the handily-thin 6100, the loathsome, craptacular 7100,
> and the hard-to-open 8100) are Nubus _and_ PPC, and they're the red-headed
> stepchildren of the pre-G3 Mac world. (Well, them and the II vx and II fx,
> but that's not important now.)
>    In fact, the loveable PowerBook 1400 is also technically Nubus, and AFAIK
> there's no *nix that'll use the SCSI port, the card slot, and all the other
> components of those darling little beasts. (Without a CD-ROM module for my
> expansion bay, I'm forced to use a CD-ROM drive in an external case -- so I
> can't install any of the nice BSD's on my beloved 117-MHz, cache-less,
> small-screen 1400.)
>    Dollars to donuts, you'll find that most of the *nix-alikes will run on
> the fully-PCI x200/x300/x500/x600 systems, but not on the Nubus-based x100.
>    *sigh*

I have NetBSD running on a crippled-chip Centris 6100. Is that in the
category you describe above? (I don't know a whole lot about Mac models
and so on, but the "handily-thin 6100" does sound like the box I have.)

I do know that NetBSD's mathco emulation is weak on this box; every
third or fourth command dumps core. :\  Needless to say, I don't depend
on it for a lot...

--
Steve Sandau
IS Technician