[rescue] mac model performance

William Enestvedt Will.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Tue Jul 9 14:32:33 CDT 2002

> They say only 7x00 and 8x00 PCI machines.

   The x100 systems (the handily-thin 6100, the loathsome, craptacular 7100,
and the hard-to-open 8100) are Nubus _and_ PPC, and they're the red-headed
stepchildren of the pre-G3 Mac world. (Well, them and the II vx and II fx,
but that's not important now.)
   In fact, the loveable PowerBook 1400 is also technically Nubus, and AFAIK
there's no *nix that'll use the SCSI port, the card slot, and all the other
components of those darling little beasts. (Without a CD-ROM module for my
expansion bay, I'm forced to use a CD-ROM drive in an external case -- so I
can't install any of the nice BSD's on my beloved 117-MHz, cache-less,
small-screen 1400.)
   Dollars to donuts, you'll find that most of the *nix-alikes will run on
the fully-PCI x200/x300/x500/x600 systems, but not on the Nubus-based x100.
   *sigh*
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt