[rescue] mac model performance

Jeff Brendle bli at psu.edu
Tue Jul 9 10:20:15 CDT 2002

There should also be mc68k/ppc ports of Netbsd/Openbsd you could run
on those old Macs if you want to use them for tasks like dns,
logging, mail, http, etc. don't know how up to date any of these
projects might be, but they should run fine. only thing you might
need to worry about is the motherboard batteries going after 5 years
or so (radio shack sells a 1/2-AA Li Tadiran that works, think like
$12). memory is pretty standard on the older ones, 30-pin I think,
forget when they banished the FPM RAM from the line (it was in the
7600 and I think the 7300 came "after" that and before the beige G3,
but was the 7200 before it? memory is fading on me) ... have seen the
6100 -> 240-ish MHz G3 upgrade parts selling for cheap from time to
time on places like Macworks. the later 7x00 line should be
upgrade-able too with a ZIF carrier card & CPU, but the earlier ones
might need some other sort of daughter card (the 7600 took 604e's
from the 9600 for one thing, or the ZIF carrier as another option).
One asterisk, when I say "they'll run fine" you have to remember that
I still think my old RT6150 is a beautiful BSD box. =-) good luck!!
-j
--

Jeff Brendle                Office: 248A Deike Bldg./(814)865-3257/fax 863-7708
Desktop Support Spv.       Home:   #210 Parkgate 349 Toftrees Ave.