[rescue] DSSI-Storageworks Stupid Mistake

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Mon Jul 8 19:02:38 CDT 2002

I tried to get my VAX 4000/500 running tonight without any
success.  The storage is all SCSI disks in a Storageworks
shelf, controlled by an HSD10.  The HSD10 could only see
one of the five SCSI disks.  I swapped out the first HSD10
for another to test.  The second HSD10 could also see only
the same single disk.

I moved SBBs around in the shelf, changed the HSD10 config
around, and no luck.  Only the same single disk could be
seen by the HSD10.

I finally decided to give up for the evening.  I then realized
that someone in the past couple of weeks when I was moving
stuff around I moved all the disks from a BA356 to a BA350.
All four disks that couldn't be seen were wide, so of course
they wouldn't work in a narrow shelf.

Boy that was stupid.
--
Eric Dittman