SAT Scores (was: [rescue] re: gps and mac&cheese, et al.)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Jul 8 15:10:05 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 03:47:46PM -0400, Loomis, Rip wrote:

> Hmm...anyone else here take the SATs in 5th - 7th grade?
> There was something Duke used to sponsor that sucked up a
> few people I know...and IIRC my 6th grade score would still have
> been in the top ~ten of my high school graduating class.
>
> Of course, the actual usefulness of SAT/ACT scores for predicting
> future performance is questionable...I'm just curious whether
> anyone else took 'em early.

I took them in 7th grade (or was it 6th...).  There was a program
called the Center for Talented Youth (run by John's Hopkins) that
required them for admission.   Unfortunately I took the normal SATs
instead of the SATs administered by the CTY folks[1].  As a result,
$friend got in even though he had lower scores.  I don't think I would
really have liked the program anyway.

My senior SATs scores were far better than my 7th (or 6th) grade
ones.  My junior SAT scores weren't that much better.

--
Joshua D. Boyd

[1]  No, I'm not just assuming that's the reason I wasn't accepted.
They actually state that there were three tiers for admission.  Tier 2
was people who took the SATs directly from the CTY, and Tier 3 (aka
the bottom tier) was people who took the SATs elsewhere.  Tier 1 was
people who'd been in the program before.