[rescue] re: gps and mac&cheese, et al.

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Mon Jul 8 14:23:40 CDT 2002

> Taking things out of context:
> > ...the need for better education is greater now than ever before.
> I'll agree with that.  Given that no one wants to do (or is capable
> of doing) the job of teaching our children *well* for a wage which
> is (in general) not in keeping with the well-paid positions in a
> community, what's to be done?  I still think that if I'd had a good
> computer tutor, then I could have skipped most of elementary school...

when sat scores and all the standardized tests place you at or beyond the
level of a graduating high school senior - at the end of sixth grade -
what the hell's the point of high school?  well, duh:  girls. :-)  okay,
and beer, and other stuff.

but all the things they try to do for bright kids - when they try at all -
generally amount to just piling on more homework, which doesn't work, so i
chose the tack of being the biggest pain in the ass i could possibly be:
political awareness and the nads to speak intelligently (but forcefully)
on a variety of issues meant i had a regular seat in the deans' offices,
in all three high schools i attended.  they can only pin two of those
early retirements on me, and hey, how was i to know they guy had a heart
condition?  (no, ha ha, i kid.  he worked at least a year after i left,
but they did say that letting his buzz cut grow out was attributable to my
influence, and if you knew the ex-marine who ran my school, that was quite
an accomplishment. :-)

really, i was a good kid (think: ferris bueller meets sid vicious), just
too aware and too outspoken for my own good, and mostly i survived it by
having good relationships with my teachers, as individuals.  upper
management was a whole 'nuther story - they were always fair game!
(still are. :-)

plus, they asked me to write a small database program (woohoo, turbo
pascal) for the attendance office so, despite my penchant for sleeping
late or leaving campus early for good coffee, i somehow avoided detention
for such mundane things as accumulated tardies or unexcused absences. :-]

> > kamikaze shooters, the perfect foil to a warm guinness.
> Oh dear $DEITY... please tell me that you aren't referring to a
> kamikaze shot as an appropriate complement to the Beer Of Life...

it was an accidental discovery, but yes - two or three kamikazes as a
brisk accompanyment to the warm smooth tones of a warm guinness (or black
butte porter, or perhaps an obsidian stout, up here in the pnw :-) are a
Good Thing.  after six rounds the world is really wonderful!  i love you
all, man!  then you sleep for a long time and wake up in someone else's
pants with your credit card company wondering if some kind of intervention
is needed.  if you're lucky.

-- skeez