[rescue] Big Caps

Dan Veeneman dan at ekoan.com
Mon Jul 8 11:36:20 CDT 2002

At 09:50 AM 7/8/02 -0500, you wrote:
> > >What the hell would someone use a 1 farad capacitor for?
> > >(as in 1,000,000 microfarad).  I saw 4 of them today for $145 ea.
> >

>I used a .5 farad 12V cap in a system design to keep some static memory
>intact during power outages.  I found that I could keep 2 4k x 4 bit
>(2114s, I think they were) going for about 30 minutes before they started
>taking single bit errors.

For the terminally curious, I've got pictures of a "download module" that
contains a 1 farad capacitor.  It appears to serve a similar purpose -- provide
short-term power absent an internal battery or external power supply.

http://www.decodesystems.com/help-wanted/index.html#download

Cheers,

Dan
www.decodesystems.com/wanted.html