[rescue] Mysterious CDROM enclosure connectors

Matthew Braun mjbraun at enteract.com
Sun Jul 7 18:54:14 CDT 2002

Whilst at work I uncovered a nifty little dual CDROM enclosure from the
garbage downstairs (along with a bunch of other neato stuff like a boxed
rackmount hub, 4Gb Compaq SCA drive in sled, boxed barcode scanner, etc).
The only problem is I can't identify the connector.

You can see the box at http://www.enteract.com/~mjbraun/cdrom.html (I
apologise for the crappy pictures). The connectors look like fast scsi in
the picture but they're actually only 40 contacts rather than 50 and the
connector is only around 3/4ths the size. Furthermore, rather than having
pins on the connector, it has a block with contacts on it.

This is a Sony Model CDU-6150-10. The text on the back by the DIP switches
(rendered invisible by the flash, feh) reads

              0     1
              |     |
        -   0- switch
        |   1- switch
  Select|   2- switch
        -   3- switch
Wait/DRQ Mode- switch
   Terminator- switch
              |     |
             off   on

The thing is built like a tank and weighs a ton. The drives are also Sony
branded (though I can't find a model number).

I can only find vague references to this device (apparently OS/2 supports
it, for what good it's worth). Does anyone know what kind of connectors
these are?

"Rub the bee. Rub the bee.
Keep rubbing the bee or damn
  your eyes, your life is ashes.