[rescue] Sun2 update

Michael Thompson m_thompson at ids.net
Sun Jul 7 08:56:45 CDT 2002

>The 2/170 has a video card but it's showing nothing on the screen. I
>also attached a terminal to SIO-A. I do see the characters echoing, but
>not always the correct character, so it's probably a serial setting
>that's wrong. I haven't been able to find the correct serial settings
>yet.
>
>Does it make a difference in which slot a card is put?
>
>Cheers,
>Walter.

Yes and no. Multibus can have serial and parallel priority resolution. Sun
implemented parallel priority resolution so empty slots don't cause a problem.

The Sun 120/170 Installation Manual says that in a 2/170 there is a memory
bus from slots 1 through 6, and a second P2 bus from slots 7 through 11,
and a third P2 bus in slots 12 and 13.

A fully loaded 2/170 would look like:
	Slot	Device
	1	CPU