[rescue] cheap gps for time reference

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Jul 6 19:06:01 CDT 2002

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 07:22:13PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   Uh, no, I have to strongly disagree with you there, Bill.  The fact
> that something occurs within a home does not automatically make it a
> hobby.  I've done work for the fucking Pentagon in my home.  THAT
> certainly wasn't a hobby.  And you'd better believe it's on my resume.

Yes - but at least around here, "fucked around with $UNIX at home" [1] doesent
fly with HR people (the most clueless of the bunch), the ones you have to get
past to get to the interview where you can show that you know your shit while
talking to clueful folks [2].

Bill

[1] Too many "I can install linux!  I is a sysadmin!" types around here. 8-(
[2] Interview for the job I have now.  $NON_PHB: "How do you get past a
    corrupted password file or lost password on a Solaris box?"  Me: <laugh>
    "You want the short version, or the long version?" [4]
[3] See [1].  This may be different in other parts of the country, but its
    definitely how it is around here.
[4] sunhelp.org actually *did* help me get this job, beleive it or not.  [5]
[5] and knowing IRIX and HP-UX helped me *keep* the job when they had layoffs
    back in November.  Thank god.

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net