[rescue] cheap gps for time reference

Gary Nichols gary at linuxforce.org
Sat Jul 6 10:02:54 CDT 2002

Speaking from experience (as a hiring manager and an employee), you don't
WANT to work at a place that requires a degree for a tape-swapping
position.  That reaks of PHB-isms's and an ignorant HR department.

I don't want to go off on a rant here, but...

<rant>
Example:
I do information security for my $primary-job, and when I hire people to
my team at $large-insurance-company, I look for mad security sk1llz.
No degree?
Ok.
No certification?
Ok.
But can you perform a pen test? yes?
ok -
can you write policies and procedures? yes?
ok -
past work experience?
ok.

At this point, I would talk to them about a number of topics probing for
their level of knowledge.  If I get warm fuzzies, they are hired.

Requiring someone in $geek-line-of-work to be degreed is ludicrous.
What's next - Burger King required an associates to be a shift lead?

</rant>

The greatest employees I have ever had were degree-less with no or maybe
one certs - but lots of practical experience be it at $job or $home.

Don't give up.