[rescue] cheap gps for time reference

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jul 5 20:05:16 CDT 2002

On July 5, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > > It is entirely possible to be a principle owner and still be the
> > > technical guy.  Look at ID Software.  The managers there answer to one
>
> >   It's definitely the exception rather than the rule.
>
> That is true.  But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be encouraged.

  Oh absolutely, I agree 100%.  I just wish it were more common than
it actually is.  Problem is, technical work tends to be very
logical...while many things that go on in the "business world" are
rather illogical.

> But, I'm used to not having to pack lunchs.  I don't like packing
> lunchs.  I like having real food for lunch.  But it would save me a

  I'm with you there.  I like a good sandwich once in a while...but a
nice three-margarita lunch at Don Pablo's is much, much nicer. :)

> lot of money.  Drinking less MD would also save me a lot.

  *snort*  :-)

> They just happen to come from a background where they want to see
> their daughter well cared for.  I can understand that.  I've seen
> enough men who have their wifes working full time AND raising the
> family so that they can chase a new startup that never makes any
> money.  That is pretty miserable for the wifes, having to do all
> that.  That will not be me.  As long as there aren't any kids, I
> don't see anything wrong with one supporting the other through a
> profitless startup.

  I see what you mean.

> But, from a parents point of view, if the man isn't established when
> he marries your daughter, how do you know he will be by the time kids

  Not getting mired in college as a "terminal student" will go a long
way toward being "established". ;)

> come along?  If I were them, I'd probably be a bit worried also.  It's
> not like they really know me all that well.  And I do tend to wear
> worn out cloths and drive a worn out car.

  I dunno, man...I've found you to be classier than most.  If this guy
has any sense he'll think you're just fine.

  And no, I'm NOT flirting with you, freakboy. ;)

      -Dave