[rescue] cheap gps for time reference

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jul 5 18:12:18 CDT 2002

On July 5, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> Wearing a pager all day and preparing to drop everything at a moment's
> notice isn't working around their schedule?  I fail to see how my ass
> warming a chair in an office waiting for stuff to break is any different
> than my attending classes--furthering my career--waiting for stuff to
> break, except that attending classes makes me a more valuable employee.

  Dude...One of the hallmark attitudes of suitdom is to confuse
"working" with "being at work".  Suits love power trips...they love to
stroll through a cube farm looking at all the busy little people over
whom they have complete control.  It makes them feel big, because they
can't feel big in any other way.  It's What They Do.

> And, on an entirely unrelated topic, an employer may be forced to work
> around my schedule, anyway, thanks to the Americans with Disabilities Act
> (bipolar disorder is classified as a disability, with adjusted work hours
> being listed as an acceptable accommodation), but I don't want to play
> that card because I'm not a whiny little prick.

  Having a willingness to try to live around a disability like that is a
very big thing.  Congrats, man.  I hope you can stick with it.

       -Dave