[rescue] WTB: sbus 10mbit ethernet NIC & 20A power cable

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jul 5 15:14:44 CDT 2002

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 04:05:35PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   I ran an early release (I don't recall which one) on a PowerMac a few
> years ago.  I was not impressed.  A good filesystem does not an
> operating system make.

I'm guessing you ran either 3.0 or 4.0.  BeOS also had a pretty decent
GUI toolkit (or so I thought) and a nice media API.  It wasn't just
the file system.

The network stacks sucks big time.

The PPC hardware is pretty much just PReP, so there wasn't really
anything that special about it other than it lacked L2 cache and it
had a nice case design with blinkin lights.  That was the second
generation design though.

The first generation designed was based on Hobbits and DSP3210 chips.
It had a total of 5 CPUs.

--
Joshua D. Boyd