[rescue] cheap gps for time reference

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jul 5 13:43:06 CDT 2002

On July 5, Scott Newell wrote:
> >  I have located what may be the ultimate GPS time/freq source for us
> >geeks.  It's much more expensive than that (like $300+), but still a
>
> Would it be the HP (Z3816A?) unit pictured at:
>
> http://www.wgele.com/Picture/gps.htm
>
> There have been a few on ebay lately...

  Close...the Z3801A.  HiTech Cafe has about 1500 of them at $299. (!).
They need an antenna with a preamp, and 48VDC.  These are REALLY
REALLY NICE units, and a tremendous amount of bang for the buck as
either a time or frequency standard (or both).  They have a 10MHz
output for those lonely "ext std in" BNCs on the back of all of our HP
test equipment.

  See http://www.realhamradio.com/GPS_Frequency_Standard.htm for lots of
very good information about this unit, and PDFs of docs.

  They seem to have SprintPCS property stickers on them.  I guess the
suits at Sprint have found something else to stabilize the oscillators
at the towers.

       -Dave