[rescue] Big Caps

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Fri Jul 5 11:11:29 CDT 2002

>  If they're big (soda can sized or larger) they're used primarily by
>the monster car stereo boyz.  Connecting such huge capacitors very

I've got a 15,000F, 75V cap (little smaller than a coke can), a 120V
transformer primary (used as an inductor), and a largish (3-5A) schottky
diode in my vehicle (mainly to reduce hash on AM).  The diode is the neat
addition--once you remove the key you still get about 5-7 minutes of
listening pleasure at reasonable volume before the cap discharges.  That
always catches people: "Hey, doesn't your radio shut off when you pull the
key?"

And no, I don't have subwoofers, amps, or anything like that.

newell