[rescue] Re: cheap gps for time reference

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jul 5 01:52:15 CDT 2002

On July 4, Mark Price wrote:
> Replying off-list....

  No you didn't. ;)

> > You'll need a source of regulated 5V dc power--steal from a keyboard or
> > mouse connector, maybe a USB port?
>
> Hmm that shouldn't be too much of a problem

  USB will be a little more involved...Only 500mA is available and
there's some negotiation involved before you can draw even that much.

> > The serial output isn't RS-232, so
> > you'd need a level converter chip to convert it to something the serial
> > port would recognize.
>
> My electronics and rs232 knowledge is lacking.  Would this be fairly easy
> for an average joe to do?

  Fairly...Either Scott or I (or probably a few other poeple here) can
scribble out a schematic for you and tell you where to get the parts.
There's not much to it.

       -Dave