[rescue] IBM RS6k 7006

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jul 5 01:20:51 CDT 2002

On July 4, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> Yeah it seems my POWER 25 Mhz is possibly faster than the 41 T which is
> an 80 Mhz PPC 601

  It may very well be.  It's very likely faster at least in floating
point performance.  My first RS/6000 was a '350...41MHz POWER.  A
SPARCstation-2's CPU is clocked at 40MHz.  The '350 benchmarked at
THREE TIMES the floating-point performance as the SS2 using the old
standby "float.c" that's been floating around for a dozen years or so.

  Very nice processors these POWER-based (and POWER-2, etc) RS/6000s.
One of the better kept secrets of our industry.  And the current ones
are WAY impressive.

         -Dave