[rescue] cheap gps for time reference

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Thu Jul 4 21:19:28 CDT 2002

>Could these be hooked up to a serial port for actual position tracking?
>Like, could I carry it around with a laptop in my car/boat?

You'll need a source of regulated 5V dc power--steal from a keyboard or
mouse connector, maybe a USB port?  The serial output isn't RS-232, so
you'd need a level converter chip to convert it to something the serial
port would recognize.  Finally, the units don't output NMEA sentences out
of the box, but apparently can be modified to do so by a firmware update.
It also appears to be a bare board and patch antenna, so some kind of
enclosure would be a good idea too.

So yeah, you probably can.  But it's not quite plug and play.

newell