[rescue] Big Caps

Steven Hill sjh at matrix.net
Thu Jul 4 21:15:24 CDT 2002

> > What the hell would someone use a 1 farad capacitor for?
> > (as in 1,000,000 microfarad).  I saw 4 of them today for $145 ea.
>
> The theatre at Rice uses banks upon banks of capacitors at about that
> rating in dimmer modules for the three-phase lighting system.

Must either be way old, or way new.

Having worked on fairly recent 3p dimmers, and some really old
dimmers... (Basically pots with well insulated handles) I have not
seen that many caps in there.

(I mainly know nightclub lighting, but have done band and theatrical
stuff once in a while)

> I will have to take pictures the next time I work[1] a show--it's an
> impressive piece of hardware.

Yes, you will :-)

> --Jonathan
> [1] I don't work lights, but I work sound occasionally, which gives me
>     easy access to the light panels.

I have done sound once in a while, but preferred lights. Less shit to
carry in the first instance.

S.

--
Steven Hill