[rescue] Big Caps

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Thu Jul 4 20:54:44 CDT 2002

At 09:43 PM 7/4/2002 -0400, George Adkins wrote:
>What the hell would someone use a 1 farad capacitor for?
>(as in 1,000,000 microfarad).  I saw 4 of them today for $145 ea.

Use small double layer caps (0.1 to 1F, 2-5Vdc) to keep static ram and real
time clocks running when systems are powered down, instead of a lithium
battery.  They're less than $5 though, made to supply very low currents.

Sounds like you ran across some of the high energy density caps that are
being developed by firms such as Maxwell (ultracapacitors).  I think
they're looking at battery backup, electric vehicles, that sort of thing.
Very low impedance.

newell