[rescue] IBM RS6k 7006

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jul 4 12:47:38 CDT 2002

On July 4, Harri Haataja wrote:
> So tonight, just for the hell of it, I took a trip to a store nearby
> that buys out old things from companies and new things as well and sell
> them both over net and from the storeroom. Mostly PC, though, but cables
> and laser printers and whatnot are universal, so what the hell. I was
> looking through the heaps of cables and cards when a red sticker saying
> "PowerPC" caught my attention.

  That's cool.  Though hacking on RS/6000 stuff for the first time over
the past few months has taught me VERY thoroughly just how much the
PowerPC is a "scaled down" POWER-architecture machine.  I have a 66MHz
POWER2 machine here (RS/6000 3CT) that runs rings around 604e/200s.
By extrapolation I'd have to guess it'd be comparable to a 604e at,
say 250MHz or maybe 275MHz.  Not bad at a 66MHz clock.

> It's an IBM RS/6000 7006 (badge says 410) with 4x8M and 4xsomething_else
> and a 1G drive. Framebuffer has a queer connector with 3 coax "pins" in
> a d-shell. Like a 13W3 without the 13. I doubt I can get a cable. Making
> one might just be possible, though.

  3W3.  Those cables are common in the DEC world.  Look for a video
cable for a color framebuffer on a DECstation-5000.

      -Dave