[rescue] IBM RS6k 7006

Harri Haataja harri.haataja at cs.helsinki.fi
Thu Jul 4 10:56:20 CDT 2002

So tonight, just for the hell of it, I took a trip to a store nearby
that buys out old things from companies and new things as well and sell
them both over net and from the storeroom. Mostly PC, though, but cables
and laser printers and whatnot are universal, so what the hell. I was
looking through the heaps of cables and cards when a red sticker saying
"PowerPC" caught my attention.

It's an IBM RS/6000 7006 (badge says 410) with 4x8M and 4xsomething_else
and a 1G drive. Framebuffer has a queer connector with 3 coax "pins" in
a d-shell. Like a 13W3 without the 13. I doubt I can get a cable. Making
one might just be possible, though.

But I could spare that 50 EUR and I don't have any of this stuff so it's
now sitting there on the floor (cleaned superficially and I'm reading
the friendly manuals).

There was also one of those powermacs for 15EUR but I didn't consider
that interesting.

Wonders if I can find a kind soul who wouldn't find it morally
disturbing to get me some means of installing Aix...