[rescue] ScaNet Info wanted

Robert Rose rr at rits.com.au
Tue Jul 2 05:32:46 CDT 2002

At 04:46 AM 2/07/2002 -0500, Drew Whittle wrote:
>I'm called a magpie by my friends because I have the habit of
>"collecting" computer junk, just like the Australian magpie (a bird)
>collects "junk".
>On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 15:13, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> > magpie?

You're thinking of the bower bird, although they're prone to stealing
things, particularly shiny things, rather than just "collecting".  Magpies
don't really collect junk, they just swoop anything (other birds, people,
dogs, cars) that invades their space when they're protecting their
young.  One theory is that it's the male of the species that gets
aggressive at mating time when their testicles swell up to like 4 times
normal size and impress the females by scaring off any potential threats to
the nest.

So, call yourself magpie if you really want, just don't come anywhere near me!

Rob