[rescue] sunpci note: TWO cards now available

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Sat Jan 26 15:45:39 CST 2002

Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 04:03:49PM -0500, Steve Sandau wrote:
> > Windows X-Pee-Pee is NASTY. The licensing thing sucks from what I hear;
> > it *eats* RAM, and if MS continued the brain-dead networking
> > configuration from Win2K, that just makes it unusable IMHO.
> > 2K *really* only plays nice on an MS network (duh.) and is tricky for
> > some people to configure to play in an Internet/DNS environment. I hate
> > it.
>
> I've never had a problem using it with only tcp/ip networking at home.

Just TCP/IP can work OK. We have to use WINS servers with DNS in a mixed
OS environment. As with NT, thinkgs like nbtstat -A finding a machine,
while start|run|\\machine fails really bug me. It realy looks like parts
of the networking setup can't communicate with each other. Doesn't seem
to happen much (ever?) in *nixes. Also in 2K, the DNS domain name has
been moved (into properties of "My Computer") and often isn't set
correctly so that local DNS lookups fail unless a FQDN is used.

And while we're at it, what's with this "My Computer" and "My Network
Places" crap? Is the intelligence level of the average Windows user
*really* kindergarten level? *sigh* Maybe it is.

--
Steve Sandau
ssandau at bath.tmac.com