[rescue] FDDI card

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Mon Feb 25 21:04:21 CST 2002

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 11:41:12AM -0500, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> I think GUI consoles could be good if:
>
> 1. A serial console (real one) was always available
> 2. They were in hardware.  (The best BIOS I ever had was an AMI BIOS
> with built-in mouse driver on a 486)
> 3. In hardware they ran as a separate process and could make live
> changes and be made fail-safe via rollbacks.
>
> Note this is of course not a GUI console in the sense of NT.  It would
> be a souped up and more graphical (icons and mouse support) version of
> the SGI consoles with full network support. (ICA in firmware)

but why do you need gui?  there is not a single task that the console of a
machine needs to perform that is so complex that it requires a GUI console.

there is no reason why you need to add the complexity of a GUI console to a
machine, it is a) a waste, and b) and extra 3 or 4 things that can go wrong
when it's time for shit to go wrong.

stick to a 9600 8N1 console, and you can't do wrong.

-brian

--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)