[rescue] Crimping your own

Rick Hamell hamellr at heorot.1nova.com
Fri Feb 22 13:02:54 CST 2002

> > Who has the best prices on RJ45 crimp tools, connectors, and cat5? I've
> > been avoiding making my own, but now I'm faced with a need for ethernet,
> > token-ring, *and* CDDI cables, all of which are RJ45/cat5 but with different
> > wiring schemes, and it looks like the time has come to surrender to the
> > inevitable. Thanks!
> >
> Home depot.

	Not... Even Fry's is cheaper on all this. If you know any
electricians have them get it for you. Our local electical supply company
is Gray Bar. Crimping tools are under $30 for good ones, connectors about
$.06 each, and cable is $.06/foot on 1000 foot spools, less if you're a
contractor. For comparison, the local Home Depot here sells the same brand
tools for $40, connectors for $.16 each, and cable is $.16 a foot on a
1000 foot spool.

	Rick