[rescue] Ss 4/5 speed/framebuffers

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Tue Feb 19 18:24:41 CST 2002

> I have all my systems except for my two Linux boxes on a
> terminal server.  The two Linux boxes are on a KVM switch
> with a 19" monitor, and I set DISPLAY to point to the dual
> PIII-750 for the display (except for the PWS500au running
> VMS V7.3, which has its own 19" monitor even though the
> console is serial).  I don't have to bother with trying to
> find a reasonably-priced 24-bit color card for the servers.

Yah, I'd thought about "X -query solarisbox" on a cheap P200 or
something with Linux and a nice graphics card. (Prolly could do it on
the cheap.) I have this *nice* old Sun 17" monitor though, and it works
*so* nicely with the SPARC5. :)

I'd like to remain somewhat pure, here. *blush* I like to keep Sun stuff
working together. Nice type-5 mouse, and I really like the Sun keyboard.
It has backspace in the normal PeeCee spot it seems... I was a
typesetter in a previous life, so I *do* appreciate a decent keyboard.

Typesetting machine I had cost me $2000 to add 256K memory to it! No
HDD. Had to reboot the machine to a special program just to copy
floppies and such. I actually miss that. Varityper was the company.
First one I had was electro-mechanical, second one was digital. The
digital one was a $40,000 unit new. Bought it for $250. Sold it for
scrap. (I'm sorry!) Strange turns in life sometimes.

--
Steve Sandau
ssandau at bath.tmac.com