[rescue] Personal Progressions

s at avoidant.org s at avoidant.org
Sat Feb 9 22:17:35 CST 2002

Julius Sridhar wrote:

> > Err, we were talking about an old Peecee.  Thus, it isn't such a stupid
> > question.
>
> It's not even close to being your average everyday piece-o-shit PC.

Indeed not. PS/2's rocked for the day. IBM was way ahead on this even
considering the x86 processor. Just cuz the world wasn't ready to catch
the MCA bus... It was 32-bit on the desktop.

Personally, I blame IBM for the failure of the technology, as I do for
the death of OS/2 and AIX. IBM doesn't market its products, it markets
itself. And as long as you know IBM's there, and working, it doesn't
matter if it's AIX or Linux. Not to IBM anyway. I remember exactly one
television commercial for OS/2 in my entire life. Lots of IBM ads for
the Olympics a few years ago though, weren't there? And the deals to
sell Windows on IBM peecees? What the hell was that? I have to admit,
their philosophy worked in reverse on me. I think the company's a bunch
of fucking suits who make just happen to make fantastic hardware and
software.

---sambo