[rescue] What to do with an IPX?

Harri Haataja harri.haataja at cs.Helsinki.FI
Wed Feb 6 02:51:30 CST 2002

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 02:20:41AM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>      I had a not-so-small job (logfile maintenance for an entire site) for
> a small box (SPARCstation LX w/ 48MB of RAM) to do.  From the postings on
> sun-rescue as of late, I decided to take NetBSD for a spin, as it sounded
> a lot more lightweight than Solaris or Linux.

It is. Or at least the default userland is very swift.

>      So, I finished the installation, and thinking "Wow.  That's it?".
> Seriously, that's the easiest (and fastest) install I've done since
> roughly the SunOS 4 days[1].  Not to mention that it -hauls- -ass-.  I had
> to do it again!

Indeed. Apart from disk setup and couple of trivial things, you just
pick the packages the miniroot comes in. That's about what such an
install is like.

>      I piddled around the office until I found enough parts to slap
> together a SPARCstation IPX, 28MB of RAM, and a half-gig hard drive.  Now,
> I've got this tiny SPARCstation, with supported audio hardware[2] running
> NetBSD.  What in the world can such a tiny box be used for?

You can make it play mp3's at 8kHz/8bit/mono :-D

[1-4] <homer> Mmm.. footnotes </homer>

--
"Validate me!  Give me eternal digital life!  Quote me in your .sigs!"
	-- djc, in the Monastery