[rescue] Solaris 8 Differences

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Mon Feb 4 00:56:14 CST 2002

On Monday 04 February 2002 01:35 am, you wrote:

> > > I mean that is uses the OpenBoot console. Which is painfully slow on
> > > an LX, a bit like using a 9600 terminal. It is just completely
> > > orthogonal to the blindingly (in comparison) fast and efficient
> > > framebuffer consoles you get with linux.

Framebuffer consoles?  isn't that like Jumbo Shrimp? Military Intelligence,
Moderate Liberal, Windows Services, Administrative Liason, Linux Server,
Robust Java... all these things are two words that mean opposite things,
they're non-sequiturs.  "Framebuffer consoles" are a result of Dain Bramaged
PeeSea hardware that shits itself if it doesn't have a video card in it.
Real Computers(tm) use Consoles (which are by definition, wait for it...
serial terminals)

> > ok, now maybe this just seems silly to me, but do you want to know why
> > there is no good text framebuffer support?  it's REALLY SIMPLE.  if you
> > are only going to use text, PUT A SERIAL CONSOLE ON THE MACHINE.
>
> Perhaps, but that's not much faster.  :-)

Dumptrucks and 18 wheelers do not generally set speed records.
If you want snappy video, use PeeSea hardware, or spend the Big Bucks (tm) on
a Real Graphics Workstation.  Workhorse boxen weren't always designed for the
purpose of having pleasing consoles, they were designed to GET WORK DONE.

George