[rescue] What is an XTerminal 1?

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Tue Dec 31 13:44:01 CST 2002

> > The noise level in my home office is beginning to drive me nuts.  Five
> > computers with fans going are just too much.
>
> I feel your pain.

So does my wife.  ;)

> > I'd like to move the two Suns into another room.  I can always administer
> > them over ssh using the command line.  However, it would be nice to be
> able
> > to get access to CDE.
> >
> > Is this what the XTerminal will do?
>
> Yeppers.

<snipped>

> I think the secret lick for a small, quiet Xterminal is a modest laptop
> Windows PC with Cygwin/XFree86.  Something like P-II 300 or so will do.  Use
> an external keyboard and mouse.  No fan, almost no heat, takes up minimal
> room.  The main drawback is the smaller screen, compared to a 20" monitor on
> a "real" Xterm.  If your budget can stand it, get a wireless base station
> ($150, maybe) and a wireless card for the laptop ($50 or so) and your
> "office" can be anywhere in the house.  Around here, you can buy an older
> laptop for less than an SVGA LCD screen.

Or NetBSD or Linux on a laptop or an IPX. Run "X -query host" to connect
to a remote host; I do this with an IPX to get a remote CDE screen from
the SS1000 in the computer room. I have seen some Linux-based terminals
(Compaq T1500) that say that they are made to connect to a Citrix
server. These "terminals" can be had for under $100 on the Internet.
(Email me if you want more info.)

Steve