[rescue] RS/6000 laptop

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Tue Dec 31 10:19:51 CST 2002

On Tuesday 31 December 2002 05:50 am, Gavin Hubbard wrote:
> Hi Lads
>
> The following auction has a starting price that is IMO a complete rip-off,
> but the item itself is pretty damn cool :-)
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=179&item=2084742741
>
> Does anyone on the list have one of these machines in their collection?

Hmm, I had one of these (at least, I think it was the 860.. there were 2 or 3
different models that I am aware of).  It was pretty neat -- had a camera
attachment for the top lid.  We used one with two PCMCIA nics as a test
firewall for a while. ;)  AIX at the time had limited PCMCIA modem drivers,
so it pretty much remained at work with a keyboard and monitor attached.

I think these were just little 601's, no?

IBM souped them up when they released the 870, but it was only on the market
for a very very short time IIRC.

-E.