[rescue] Combinding network connections...

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Dec 27 16:39:35 CST 2002

On Fri, 2002-12-27 at 17:30, Paul M. Hortiatis wrote:
> Has any one know if it is possable to combine two or more enthernet
> controlers under linux to increase bandwith?

Yes, but only under certain conditions. Linux calls this "Channel
Bonding" (module name: bonding.o). The key to making it work is having
both end points support Channel Bonding. You can bond from one Linux box
directly to another, or from a Linux box to a router that speaks Channel
Bonding (a lot of mid to high end Ciscos can do this). If you're just
trying to shotgun a cable and a DSL connection, you're pretty much out
of luck (actually, it might be possible with some multi-homed routing,
but I'll happily defer to someone else on that).

I've done Channel Bonding a few times on Linux, with the right hardware,
it works properly.

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> Red Hat Sales Engineer
Sair Linux and GNU Certified Administrator (LCA)
Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)
GPG: D786 8B22 D9DB 1F8B 4AB7  448E 3C5E 99AD 9305 4260

The words and opinions reflected in this message do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer, Red Hat, and belong solely to me.

"Immature poets borrow, mature poets steal." --- T. S. Eliot