[rescue] Want-To-Borrow Macintosh Power Supply

jwbirdsa at picarefy.com jwbirdsa at picarefy.com
Fri Dec 27 16:23:51 CST 2002

Mr. Boyd:
>The exception to that is if you have a hardware decoder card.  I used to
>see cardbus decoder cards, but I'm not sure how hard it would be to get
>one now.  But, it would mean that both cardbus slots would be taken.

   You can still buy them new, I bought one just a few months ago for my
PII/366 laptop which had a DVD drive but was unwatchable with a software
decoder. Check out www.margi.com and look for DVD-to-Go. It only works on
machines with "zoomed video" compatible slots, which my Thinkpad happened
to have. It appears to operate by analog video overlay, the same way
desktop TV cards work, and it only works properly at 800x600, whereas
the native resolution of my screen is 1024x768.

   So, it's not the most satisfactory solution, but it upgrades "worthless"
to "usable", which is an improvement.

   --James B.