[rescue] Want-To-Borrow Macintosh Power Supply

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Dec 26 20:07:28 CST 2002

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002, Linc Fessenden wrote:

> Dunno what to tell ya then.. Everytime that situation hits me I just
> replace the batts and everything get's better.  If your power supply was
> dead you wouldn't get the start-up tones.  Have you tried removing any
> add-on cards, etc?

The only card in the IIci is the cache card.  The IIfx, with dead
batteries does nothing.  However, when I replaced the battery that is
inline with the power circuit, I get the "starts, runs for 1 second, and
dies" behavior.  I only have one spare Mac battery with me, and it looks
like the battery in the IIci truly is flat.  However, I put the new
battery in the IIci and it doesn't alter the behavior.

Something else that makes me think the IIci's PS is dead is that the
machine started misbehaving by randomly turning itself off, and
sometimes refusing to turn on.  The IIfx worked before I shipped it out
here, and arrived dead (thanks, UPS!), also making me think the PS might
have received some trauma.  I reseated all the chips on the logic board,
but that didn't improve the situation.

--
Jonathan Patschke
  "Albert Einstein nailed space-time, but the wild thing had him stumped.