[rescue] Sun IPX Cdrom Booting issues

Benjamin Gardiner cvisors at carnagevisors.net
Thu Dec 26 16:54:51 CST 2002

On Friday, Dec 27, 2002, at 02:05 Australia/Melbourne, Geoffrey S.
Mendelson wrote:

> Benjamin Gardiner wrote:
>

>> I am able to boot the cd but when I try and install the miniroot,
>> either via the menu or via the single user shell, I get constant
>> errors, for example,
>>
>> esp0:  Targes 6.0 reverting to async mode
>> sr0:	SCSI transport faied: reason 'data_ovr'": retrying command
>
> 1. You must be trying to boot SunOs, What version?
>
> 2. Are you booting by typing "b ...", "boot sd...."  or "boot cdrom"?
>
> Toshiba drives unless hardware patched for Suns will only work if you
> boot using "boot cdrom". This issues a change blocksize command that
> AFIK
> all toshiba and Sony drives honor. (but no NEC).
>
> Geoff.
>

> --
> Geoffrey S. Mendelson
> MobilEye Vision Technologies Ltd, R.M.P.E House, 10 Hartom St. Har
> Hotzvim
> Jerusalem, 91450 Israel Tel: +972-2-5417-356 Cell: +972-55-667-090
> Do sysadmins count networked sheep?

I am using boot cdrom. as the command, & the version of sun os is 4.1.4

In regards to blocksize, I believe that the toshiba drive I am using is
able to do 512 as that is what the sgi machines require.

I saw two shooting stars last night
I wished on them but they were only satellites
Is it wrong to wish on space hardware?
I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care
Billy Bragg 1983