[rescue] Sparcstation 4

Stephen D. B. Wolthusen stephen at wolthusen.com
Fri Dec 20 08:37:58 CST 2002

Hi,

On 20-Dec-2002 Dan Williams wrote:
> The only cabling for scsi in the machine is for the drive in the middle
> attached to the main board, by a quick-release handle thingy (getting
> technical). I can see where the two drives and the cd rom should go but
> there is no cabling for them, or the floppy. Are the cables fairly standard
> or should I go an buy another sparc for the same money as a cable ?
>
> Dan

Standard cabling will do. However, as noted by another posting before, these
systems aren't exactly meant to be loaded with internal drives. The power
supply is rather modest and must also provide air flow for all components in
the system including the passively cooled CPU.

I recently gave away a bunch of these to students (given their small power
supplies and typically quiet operation they make for a nice server, firewall,
or similar not too CPU-hungry applications). Somehow Sun seems to have been a
little creative when it came to which system got mounting brackets and SCSI
cabling for extra drives -- I certainly didn't see a pattern there. The
mounting brackets for internal drives are, I believe, a bit harder to get
because they weren't in such great demand. Even when new the SS4/5 were never
more than glorified terminals.

--

        later,
        Stephen