[rescue] Sparcstation 4

jodys at helluin.org jodys at helluin.org
Fri Dec 20 05:54:21 CST 2002

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 11:04:47AM -0000, Dan Williams wrote:
> Does anyone know anything about these ?. It has a connector at the back (68
> pin sca) with is a really short cable which goes to the interna hard drive. It
> also has at the back what looks like one/two spaces for hard drives,one for
> cdrom and one for floppy. Which are are on the side, on the side there is a
> small 50pin connector, which I am assuming drives. What I wanted to know was
> will the main board take another hard drive and a cdrom on the 68pin connector
> or will it be overloaded, or does anyone know what the correct cabling is for
> this machine.

The sparc 4 chassis can take 2 80 SCA drives in the area on the left
(looking from the front). There should be a 2 connector SCA backplane
there (this can only take 1 or 2 1/3 height drives). There should be
a cable leading from the mainboard to the backplane. On the right
you have space for a single slim CD and a floppy (you should have
a short 50 pin ribbon cable from the mainboard to connect
to the CDROM drive, and short 40pin(?) floppy cable as well).

If your merely trying to get 3 drives (2 SCA, 1 50pin) and no CD into
the case, you shouldn't have a problem (setting the 3rd drive where
the CD normally sits). If your trying to get 3 drives and a CD you
will probably run into cooling problems. On last caveat the bottom
SCA slot is permanently wired to ID 3, the top SCA slot is permanently
wired to ID 1, and the 50 pin stub is, of course, open. Good luck,
hope that helped.

Jody