Apple Clones (was: [rescue] BMRT SGI)

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Wed Dec 18 20:52:30 CST 2002

I'm still using my PVR card these days but if i had to
repurchase equipment i'd probably just create DV files on a
Mac from individual frames and output to DV tape via
Firewire. I haven't kept up with the specs in the past few
years so i don't know how DV compares to Digital Betacam, but
my guess is that it would be usable for all but the most high
end projects (take notice of the word "guess").  I do know
it will beat the hell out of anything an SVHS/Hi8 deck will
do.

As for the single from stuff these days, i seriously doubt
many are still using it.  It was *incredibly* stressful
on the decks, took forever, was error prone and of course was
exorbitantly expensive.  Since mid/late 90s most FX houses
are useing DDR for video.  Film is still done single frame on
film printers though, at least to my knowledge.

I remember seeing a 3D animation in the mid 80s at the Omni
theater in Ft Worth (or was it Dallas?) called "The Magic
Egg".  The animation began and ended showing a film
camera being pointed directly into the computers display in a
manner much like you describe.  I guess that was common
practice in those days.

/KRM