[rescue] Rescuing a powermac 6500/250

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Dec 18 04:37:53 CST 2002

On Tuesday 17 December 2002 22:56, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On 2002.12.17 22:43 Frank Van Damme wrote:
> > He, we're all grown-up enough not to start flame/distro wars not? :-)
>
> Sorry, I am penguin alergic. ;-)

Lol. Most people fear daemons ;-)

> > Maybe I can install netbsd once I get that sexy Sparcbook...
>
> Uhhh, SPARCbook. Very erotic.

The colored iBooks don't even come near ;-)

> > does it support something like LVM actually?
>
> No. There is only RAIDframe, a software RAID implementation. But nothing
> like on-line resizeable volumes / file systems like Tru64, AIX, IRIX,
> ... have. FreeBSD has vinum, that can do things like this, but I don't
> know how well FreeBSD/SPARC runns, if at all.

on-line resizeability is not a requirement... abstraction may be.
> > I have a feeling I will need it.
>
> On a SPARCbook???

Yes!

Suppose I get hold of a harddisk (a chap I know has some disks who are maybe
suiteable, then again there is Mike Johnson on this list who still has a
couple of 500 meg disks). I'll probably have to put in 2 disks to have enough
disk space. Spreading partitions over these will be a pain. It's a lot nicer
being able to make it all one big volume group and make one big partition on
it. So raid might be a solution if the disks are approx. the same size (and I
leave some space for /boot). Otherwise, lvm looks like a better option.

Frank