Apple Clones (was: [rescue] BMRT SGI)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 17 21:17:29 CST 2002

--- Joshua D Boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 04:27:56AM -0500, Kevin wrote:
> >
> > I'm fairly ignorant on the Avid options at the
> > time, but i'm talking well before media100 days, single
> > frame to tape not real time :) Targa cards (pre Targa
> > 2000).
>
> I knew people used to do that.  I just was forgetting about it.  I
> have a card for single frame output for ISA machines, but have never
> actually used it due to the scarcity of affordable frame acurate
> VCRs.

I took 4 Computer Art/Animation classes about 10+ years ago, and we
used *powerful* 286 boxes with an expensive 68000 add-in board, and a
Targa card. We made animations a frame at a time... You could sit and
watch the image "assemble", one pixel at a time... Slower than watching
paint dry ;^)

I did simple, geometric sshapes, and got pretty quick renders, but one
kid in the class was *very good* at it - it was making star wars-like
scenes, and it took 20-30 minutes per frame, and ran over night (24
frames make a second of tape!).

It was fun to watch the tape deck come to life, wind back a few meters
(assumed), then run forward, then *BLAM* write one frame, slow down,
and wait...

I miss that, but not too much. I keep thinking of going back to
community college and seeing how they teach it now...

=====
Lionel

http://mailplus.yahoo.com