[rescue] Mac SE 30

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Tue Dec 17 08:09:21 CST 2002

On 12/17/02 1:10 AM, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
<Geoffrey.Mendelson at mobileye.com> wrote:

> Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
>> Ok, so I'm sick. But after reading an article on someone installing
>> OpenBSD on a Mac SE 30 with 5MB of ram, I want to do it. Does anyone
>> have a complete, functional Mac SE 30, with say 64MB of ram, 500MB HD,
>> and ethernet?
>
> Not very likely, To get that configuration you would need 16meg 32 pin
> SIMMs. Very rare. 4meg ones will get you 32 meg.
>
> Geoff.

True. However, an SE/30 with 32 meg of RAM and a reasonably modern SCSI
drive _rocks_ as a BSD box. The hardest trick (which isn't very hard) is
using a correct copy of the disk tools to make the UNIX-style partitions
after the small Mac partition you need to boot the box.

If you need a copy of same, let me know. And I'm not selling any of my
SE/30s- at least not yet.

Steve