[rescue] Replacement front panel for Sun X680A (HP 88780) tape drive?

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Mon Dec 16 14:59:20 CST 2002

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002, Paul Weissmann wrote:

> Skeezics Boondoggle [skeezics at q7.com] wrote:
> > Does _anyone_ just happen to have a non-functioning Sun X680A drive
> > and would be willing to sell/trade the front panel assembly?  The left
> > side is
>
> Just stumbled across a HP 88780B drive on ebay. It's at $20
> momentarily. # is 2080931783. Not related anyhow to the seller.

Thanks for the pointer!  I had seen that one, and another starting at
$100, but was waffling... the $3 deal was impossible to beat. :-/ I'll
take a shot, but if it goes much higher than $50 or so I'll probably bail.
Shipping from Ohio ain't cheap.

I'm curious if deep in the bowels of some Sun warehouse somewhere they
still keep old parts around - I've been scouring the FE Handbook and IBB
parts lists and emailing Sun to see if they just happen to have some
inventory left over.  Highly unlikely, but it never hurts to ask.

Here are some quick & dirty shots of what happened to the first one:

	http://www.boondoggle.com/SadTapeDrive/

Sigh.

-- Chris