[rescue] IRIX 5.3 32bits or 64?

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Sat Dec 14 20:01:37 CST 2002

On Sat, 14 Dec 2002 nick at snowman.net wrote:

> (Some hardware that supports full 64bits.  Remember that every SGI past
> the indigo supported full 64bit, to include indy i2 o2 etc)
> 	Nick

Nope, r4x00 machines do not support -64 compilation flags, they can not
use 64bit pointers. I think R8/10K indigo2 on do support full 64bit
system. the R4x00 support the n32 style, which I think support 64bit
int/fp ops as long as you keep pointers to 32bits. o32 is most of the rest
of the 5.0-5.3 style code, which is plain R3000 code (32bit ops, 32bit
addresses). The Crimson with R4000 only supports o32 even when using 6.2

I think the reason was that the early R4000 chips were quite buggy in
64bit mode. I dunno if this went onto the R4400's though (the R4600 are a
bit rarer and I think they only go into machines like the Indy and I2)