[rescue] sparc laptop

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Sat Dec 14 17:07:17 CST 2002

Frank Van Damme [frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be] wrote:
> On Friday 13 December 2002 18:16, roosmcd at dds.nl wrote:
> >  Take a look at the older Apple powerbook range, they also used scsi 2.5"
> > drives. There are usually some drives on eBay, but these will cost you :).
> >
> >  Also recommended is the MacAlly Data Porter/Powerbook Travel Kit. Mine
> > came with a 1Gb IDE drive and a 2.5" scsi-to-ide convertor. I'm using the
> > convertor now with a 2Gb IDE drive in my powerpc thinkpad.
>
> A convertor sounds interesting. Where can I get one? Are they expensive?
>
> Frank

Okay, so I deleted the original post.  Was someone looking for a 2.5"
SCSI drive?  What size?  And how reliable does the drive need to be?  I
ask, because I have a couple 500MB SCSI drives out of old PowerBook
540's that work, but are a bit loud, so may be on their way out.  If the
original poster is intersted, I could ship one out (just pay shipping).
I'm not sure how much longer it will last, or even if it will eat your
first born, though.

As per the convertor, it was used on Powerbook5300 and 190's, IIRC.  I'm
not sure what their limits are/were, but basically, Apple still had SCSI
in those laptops, but IDE drives were so much cheaper.  Maybe you can
find a dead one (the laptop).

Mike
--
"If life hands you lemons, YOU BLOW THOSE LEMONS TO BITS WITH
 YOUR LASER CANNONS!" -- Brak