[rescue] Replacement front panel for Sun X680A (HP 88780) tape drive?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Dec 13 23:25:30 CST 2002

On Friday, December 13, 2002, at 04:58 PM, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:
> Well, it had to happen.  My 100% satisfaction/lucky streak on Ebay had
> end at some point... actually, it was a simple shipping disaster,
> which at
> this time of year is to be expected, I guess.  The gorillas at UPS
> have an
> uncanny knack for finding the most vulnerable corner of the package and
> dropping it on precisely that spot.

   I fucking hate UPS.  I *only* ship FedEx anymore.  USPS loses
expensive things, UPS destroys expensive things.

> I won the X680A for $2.95.  Three bucks for a compact 9-track
> autoloader
> with a SCSI interface
> I figure this is a long shot, but if anyone has or even remembers these
> units, it's Rescue. :-)

   Damn, dude...those drives were only discontinued a couple of years
ago, and are holding their value very well (I sold a couple at
something like $400/ea about 1.5yrs ago)...I'd say you got a hell of a
deal.  I have one here that'll go with me to the grave.

   Talk to Mike Nicewonger <twmaster at twmaster.com>...a surplus dealer
that he frequents comes across them from time to time.  Lacking that,
you can get parts for them from HP, but that'll be $$$.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "I'll send you adapters to go both ways."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Bill Bradford