[rescue] Re: Apple Clones (was: BMRT SGI)

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Fri Dec 13 19:47:13 CST 2002

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> > They had two internal 5 1/4" drives but could add a 3.5" if you spent
> > the big bucks.
>
> All the ones I used had one internal 5.25" and one external 3.5".  Maybe
> they offered differnt options at different times.

I can't imagine two 5.25" drives fitting in them. I have a Laser, but
haven't bought a //c yet. I have a //c monitor tho. Those were cute.

> > I'm thinking "Wizardry" but I'm probably wrong.
>
> I don't think it was "Wizardry".  I remember the name being weird, but I
> don't remember the name itself.

I remember Eamon, had dozens (hundreds?) of dungeon disks to go with it,
and was always big in the Apple shareware collections. Although the game I
really want is Questron. For any platform.

> > Conan and Lode-Runner were my favorites.  I used mine mostly for BBS
> > and word processing stuff.  AppleWorks and a thermal serial printer. ;-)
>
> Ugh.  AppleWorks.  I was busy being brain-damaged by WordPerfect[0] and
> Lotus 1-2-3.

Thermal serial printer? Aieee. I do have a Diconix "kitty" printer
somewhere around here, came with my first C64 system purchase.

> [0] If you've ever used it day-to-day for more than a little while, all
>     those function-key commands are probably still burned into the back
>     of your brain.

Yep. ^K^Q and all that fun stuff. I used to use 3.31q on an XT when I was
learning to type well. :)

--Rob