[rescue] Re: SGI

Corda Albert J DLVA CordaAJ at NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Thu Dec 12 15:18:56 CST 2002

Thanks! I'll give it a try!  The last info I ran across must have pre-dated
the release of 6.5 (very possible, since I do most of my SGI data-mining
from
old usenet posts, and I haven't entered the "mine" in quite a while :-)

> > 5.3 capable:
> > 1 4D/25
>
>    Ahh, blast from the past...I wrote a *lot* of software on one of
> these, under IRIX 3.2 and 4.0.

They are nice critters... a bit slow by today's standards, but reliable.
And, of course, they still do everthing they were originally intended to do
quite
nicely!  When they came out with the 4D/35 they tried to use the same
case/cooling
as the /25, but ran into problems... the d**m things overheat if you look at
them the wrong way (even with the fan upgrade).  My main use for them now is
to prove to the occasional visitor that you don't need to have a 1.5 Ghz CPU
in order to do something useful. All you really need is a _well designed_
machine.

-al
-acorda at 1bigred.com