[rescue] pursuing a VAX

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Tue Dec 10 11:19:25 CST 2002

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 05:54:18PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > On Monday, December 9, 2002, at 05:48 PM, Michael Schiller wrote:
> > >So you mean my SC2000 with 20 85mhz SM81's isn't a 1.8ghz machine after
> > >all? :)
> >   Are you running that machine?
>
> <mental image of Michael on a treadmill, puffing heavily, while the Solaris
>  install spins the cursor...>

:-)

Y'know... without a pile of disks running, I was surprised at how little
juice the 2000 draws.

I've got the CS6400 in the lobby here at work, and my 2000 + two 2000E's
are stashed in "spare" offices.  (A, the bennies of being the lone
sysadmin and 3rd most senior guy at a company of just 11 employees. :-)
So, after "normal"  hours, when I'm finally waking up, I can shove one of
the machines down the hallway to the door of our server room, stretch the
long power and serial cables I made up out to the machine, and fire it up.
(I'm a fairly brawny guy and can barely budge the Cray cabinets;
getting one of the 2K's down a carpeted hall is quite entertaining as it
is. :-)

(Yes, gotta get a digital camera, gotta get some pictures up... my entire
collection will eventually be available at "heavycomputing.com". :-)

It's really cool to be looking out my office door at the old sun4d humming
away.  I have GOT to replace this screaming 2gig Seagate in my U2 - it
completely drowns out the 2000!

Anyway, according to the UPS front panel, with four mostly-populated
system boards, the 8-way 40Mhz SC2000 was pulling about 700 watts.  I'm
guessing that firing up the three full 6-drive SCSI trays adds quite a bit
to the load. :-)  I haven't run up the 2000E's yet; they're both
configured with 8x SM81-2, 2GB, and two full 30-drive SSA's mounted in
'em.  In a couple of weeks, when that UPS is freed up again, I'll plug
those babies in and take a few readings...  if/when I get all this gear
home it'll be good to have some actual power measurements.

Oh, hey!  A Rescue question:  The two big fuses in the AC distribution box
of the 2000 must have worked loose and popped out during shipping.
Anyone have any suggestions as to where to find replacements?  I'd need
the holders too - the plastic cap thingie (note the awesome command of
technical lingo there) that holds the fuse in place.  Just curious if
anyone had a source they recommend.

Cheers,

-- Chris